Tuesday, February 07, 2006

"Bear!" he boomed....

Another first, and more good match practice, with my inaugural reading of a bedtime story. My nephew was the recipient and it seemed to go quite well...I even did some different voices for the dialogue.

Mind you, it was the evergreen Paddington Bear, a personal favourite anyway.

I'm now trying really hard to look upon children not as alien creatures that should be avoided at all costs, but as people to be understood and communicated with. Not easy after all these years, but going surprisingly well so far I reckon.

My parents were naturally delighted about the news - it was good just to tell somebody else after all the subterfuge and secrecy. Although I thought my dad's "Oh, I'd better hang on a bit longer then if I've got a grandchild coming" was a bit unnecessarily pessimistic, even for him. No prizes for guessing where I get it from...

It'll soon be time for the moment of truth, the three-month scan. It's sure to be a tense time, because there are of course no guarantees given our age.

But for now, the good ship parenthood is set fair for a good wind and a smooth sea. All aboard!!

No comments: