Sunday, January 22, 2006

First time for everything....

I did something today that I've never done before. I played with a small child and actually enjoyed it.

Just a brief game not dissimilar to pat-a-cakes with our friend's one-year-old (she was clearly fascinated by my hands being about a hundred times bigger than hers) but a real breakthrough in many ways.

I'd previously found the idea of interacting with small children about as tempting as frying my own feet. Even my niece and nephew, bless 'em, had to grow up into fully-fledged, talking, ball-playing youngsters before I got remotely interested.

So this is a change - proper eye-contact, touchy-feely interaction. And not ghastly, as it happens...

In other news, the missus says I've never been so nice to her as in the days since the fateful morning the lines turned pink. Although given that she expected me to run away I guess this is nothing to feel too smug about.

Truth is, I do feel kind of closer to her right now. This is no small event we're coming to terms with and it's only right and proper that of the two ways it could have driven us, we've ended up on the positive path.

There'll be tears and trouble ahead, for sure, so we'd better enjoy this while it lasts!

No comments: